My block has come home, and what a beauty it is! Thank you to Annette, Mary, Debbie & Flora for their beautiful work, and the opportunity to join this group.
Tuesday, April 7, 2015
Wednesday, February 18, 2015
Sunday, February 8, 2015
Here is my second fan. It has been easy to keep up with the project so far, as I am also stitching the Daily Joyful Embellishments on Facebook with Valerie Bothell. Each fan gets a stitch from JE, i.e., January was Feather Stitch, and February is Herringbone, etc.
Saturday, January 24, 2015
Thursday, January 8, 2015
Here is a virtual version of the basic blocks for the quilt, made with Quilt Pro for Mac. I still need to piece the corner blocks. The ones shown are stock blocks from the Quilt Pro Block Library.
Tuesday, January 6, 2015
Monday, January 5, 2015
Sunday, January 4, 2015
Saturday, January 3, 2015
Friday, January 2, 2015
Tuesday, December 30, 2014
I have had a big bag of new silk tie scraps from Robert Talbot for several years. After seeing a beautiful fan quilt on CQMagOnline, I was inspired to start one. I adapted Allie Aller's Curved Appliqué pattern from her Craftsy class to make the fan blades a bit longer.
Sunday, December 28, 2014
I have been reading a lot about block construction, notably on Gerry's Block Talk. She says to construct the blocks and do all lace and ribbon afterward.
I have been debating about whether to include my silkies as a block piece or as an add-on after and I see that both ways are done. Sharon B's block #28 accommodated this image pretty well, as I only has to slightly lengthen pieces 1 and 2.
Saturday, December 27, 2014
I wanted to do all curved blocks but I broke down and used this pattern with mostly straight. seams.
This is my first time using silkies and I am still trying to figure out the best way to do it. I have been using the silkie as piece one and appliquéing over it. Allie suggested piecing the block normally and then appliquéing the silkie on top and covering the edges with trim or ribbon. I will try that next!
This is the first curved CQ pattern I designed myself. I love the image, but I am not totally in love with the appliquéd pieces. It was challenging to draft it so that each piece went on over the previous one, thus ensuring a seam only on one side. Back to the drawing board!! I will definitely use this one, however.
Friday, December 26, 2014
For this project I decided to do a French themed quilt with vintage "silkies" in the center of each block.
All the blocks will be curved, using the freezer paper method I learned from Allie Aller. I will use three or four different patterns for the blocks, two from Allie and so far one that I designed myself. I found it challenging to design curved blocks to accommodate the usually rectangular or square silkies, but I'm getting there.
I've printed out 16 images, using TAP Artist Paper, but I'll be making the blocks one at a time so I'll have time to pick and choose which silkies to use for each. block. The inaugural block is, of course, the Eiffel Tower!!
Here is the first naked block, appliquéd in a fine zigzag with invisible thread.
Sunday, December 21, 2014
Benson's memorial quilt is now finished and hanging on our living room wall. When the sun decides to come out I will take some better pictures of it. I really enjoyed making this wall hanging; it has helped me get through the grieving process. Rest in peace, faithful friend.
Monday, December 8, 2014
Thursday, December 4, 2014
I finally printed an image I liked, using TAP Transfer paper, and have embroidered it to the background, instead of using trim. I am much happier with it this way.
In the photo below, Benson's image is appliqued to the background using a narrow zigzag stitch and invisible thread. There is a layer of batting behind the image.