I pinned a square of batting to the back of the background square, set up my machine for free motion, and outlined the leaves in brown polyester machine embroidery thread. Then I carefully cut the batting away, on the outside of the shape.
I ironed and starched my "Aussie fur fabric", sewed the three sheets together lengthwise and then cut them in long strips. I pieced the strips together and turned under the long edges. I applied this around the perimeter of the background square, thus hiding the border of blue flowers, which I found distracting. I made false miters at the corners by turning down the corners at 45 degree angles and holding them in place with fabric glue. I pinned all of this in place.
Using clear thread (my new best friend!!) I appliquéd my Fur Border. It lays very flat and was pretty easy to do.
I then placed Benson's image on the background square to audition trims. I plan to appliqué Benson in place raw edge, with a zig zag in clear thread, but I want to audition some trims to hide the raw edges. I tried four trims, and like two of them.
Here we are, pinned and glued.
Here is the back of the background square with the batting trimmed away.
Below is my fake mitered corner.
Close up of free motion stitching around motifs to make them puff out a bit.
Fur border appliquéd on. Benson is just sitting there for show.
The trim below might work if I dyed it with coffee. Strong coffee.
Below is my first pick for trim. My only concern is how to connect the ends.
This one seems too bulky and ordinary.
Below is my second pick for trim.