Pages

Friday, November 30, 2012

Bread Bag

We love pistachios, and the ones we buy at our local Grocery Outlet come in these nice heavy cotton cloth bags.  I can't bear to throw them out, so I have been saving them.   I finally thought of something to make from them!

A few months ago I asked for a bread machine on Free Cycle, and I got one!  It works perfectly, and I have been making wonderful whole wheat bread all the time ever since. 

I have found that the bread doesn't like plastic bags, and does best wrapped in a dish towel.   So, I took apart two of the pistachio bags and combined them to make a bread bag! 

I also tried the Overcasting Stitch on my Janome Horizon to stitch the bag, which works great!  I have had the machine for close to two years, and have not used any of the specialty feet.   I have resolved to go through the book and try each one.

Anyway, here are some pics of my Pistachio Bread bags.  I plan to make a baguette bag as well, by sewing two of the bags end to end.






2 comments:

  1. Excellent idea, I can never keep the bags around long enough to do this, my kids use them for everything :D What I did discover is tea towels work wonderfully as a bread bag or as gift bags :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tea towels at a good idea too! In fac,t fabric scraps in general would make great gift bags. I had not thought of gift bags at all! Thank you Christina for a timely Christmas idea!

    ReplyDelete